New DNA barcodes for identification of Korean birds

Cited 11 time in scopus
Metadata Downloads
Title
New DNA barcodes for identification of Korean birds
Author(s)
H Y Park; Hye Sook Yoo; G Jung; C B Kim
Bibliographic Citation
Genes & Genomics, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 91-95
Publication Year
2011
Abstract
DNA barcode is a short sequence of standardized genomic region that is specific to a species and therefore, helps in species identification. According to studies of animal species, the 648-bp sequence of the mitochondrial gene encoding cytochrome c oxidase 1 (CO1) is extremely useful for species identification. Several studies of birds have already ascertained the reliability of CO1 barcodes. In this study, we investigated the validity of DNA barcoding in Korean bird species by using additional barcode records. We analyzed the CO1 barcodes of 154 species of Korean birds, and discovered that the average genetic distance between congeneric species was 25 times higher than the average genetic distance within species. Most (98.7 %) bird species possessed a barcode distinct from that of other bird species. However, among the remaining 1.3 %, species had overlapping barcode clusters. Thus, we reemphasize that CO1 barcodes are an effective identification tool for Korean bird species.
ISSN
1976-9571
Publisher
Springer
DOI
http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s13258-010-0089-3
Type
Article
Appears in Collections:
1. Journal Articles > Journal Articles
Files in This Item:
  • There are no files associated with this item.


Items in OpenAccess@KRIBB are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.