Cited 9 time in
- Host-dependent suppression of RNA silencing mediated by the viral suppressor p19 in potato
- Joon Woo Ahn; Jong Suk Lee; S J Davarpanah; Jae Heung Jeon; Y I Park; Jang Ryol Liu; Won Joong Jeong
- Bibliographic Citation
- Planta, vol. 234, no. 5, pp. 1065-1072
- Publication Year
- p19 protein encoded by tomato bushy stunt virus (TBSV) is known as a suppressor of RNA silencing via inhibition of small RNA-guided cleavage in plants. In this study, we generated TBSVp19-expressing patatin-RNAi transgenic potatoes to identify the inhibitory mechanisms of RNA silencing mediated by TBSVp19. In TBSVp19-expressing patatin-RNAi lines, reduction of patatin-derived siRNA accumulation and complementation of patatin transcripts were detected in comparison with the non-TBSVp19-expressing patatin-RNAi line, suggesting that TBSVp19 suppresses the siRNA-mediated silencing pathway. Interestingly, no apparent effect on the accumulation of miRNA168 and other miRNAs was detected in TBSVp19-expressing lines; previous studies reported that p19 induced the accumulation of both miRNA168 and its target Argonaute 1 (AGO1) mRNA, but suppressed AGO1 translation via up-regulation of miRNA168 in Arabidopsis. In addition, the expression of Argonaute 1 (AGO1-1 and AGO1-2) and Dicer-like 1 (DCL1) was not significantly altered in p19-expressing lines. Interestingly, no translational inhibition of AGO1 mediated by p19 was detected. These results suggest that p19 suppresses siRNA-mediated silencing in potato, but may not affect miRNA-mediated silencing, possibly due to the host-dependent manner of p19 activity.
- MicroRNA (miRNA)RNA silencingRNA-induced silencing complexes (RISCs)Short interfering RNA (siRNA)Tomato bushy stunt virus p19 (TBSVp19)
- Appears in Collections:
- Division of Research on National Challenges > Plant Systems Engineering Research > 1. Journal Articles
Synthetic Biology and Bioengineering Research Institute > Cell Factory Research Center > 1. Journal Articles
- Files in This Item:
Items in OpenAccess@KRIBB are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.