Combined analysis of AFP and HCCR-1 as an useful serological marker for small hepatocellular carcinoma: A prospective cohort study
Cited 26 time in
- Combined analysis of AFP and HCCR-1 as an useful serological marker for small hepatocellular carcinoma: A prospective cohort study
- G Zhang; S A Ha; H K Kim; J Yoo; S Kim; Y S Lee; S Y Hur; Y W Kim; T E Kim; Y G Park; J Wang; Y Yang; Z Xu; Eun Young Song; Z Huang; P Jirun; J Zhongtian; Q Shishi; C Zhuqingqing; G Lei; J W Kim
- Bibliographic Citation
- Disease Markers, vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 265-271
- Publication Year
- Hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) is one of the most frequent malignant tumors in the world. The only serological marker widely used for the diagnosis of HCC is alpha-fetoprotein (AFP). Despite that AFP is widely used for the diagnosis of HCC, it has a limit as a serological marker due to its low sensitivity and specificity. The human cervical cancer proto-oncogene 1 (HCCR-1) was previously reported as a new biomarker for HCC. To further evaluate the HCCR-1 as a biomarker for HCC, we conducted the prospective cohort study. We evaluated the significance of simultaneous measurement of 2 tumor markers in the diagnosis of HCC in China, Japan and Korea. Two markers for HCC, AFP and HCCR-1, were measured in the sera obtained from 1,338 patients at the time of initial diagnosis of HCC. Of the 1338 HCC patients, 616 (46%) and 686 (51.3%) were sero-positive for AFP and HCCR-1, respectively. The positive rate for HCC was increased up to 74.1% in combined use of AFP and HCCR-1. Many cases (54%) for AFP-negative HCC were positive for HCCR-1 and vice versa. More importantly, the diagnostic rate for small HCC (< 2 cm) was significantly improved in the combined analysis of AFP and HCCR-1 to 56.9% although it was only 40.1% and 23.4% in the single analysis of HCCR-1 and AFP, respectively. Our result suggests that the HCCR-1 could be an useful biomarker for HCC while the diagnostic rate could be significantly improved in the combined use of HCCR-1 and AFP.
- AFPbiomarkerHCCR-1Hepatocellular carcinoma
- Hindawi Ltd
- Appears in Collections:
- 1. Journal Articles > Journal Articles
- Files in This Item:
Items in OpenAccess@KRIBB are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.