Cited 11 time in
- Thuja orientalis reduces airway infammation in ovalbumin-induced allergic asthma
- In Sik Shin; Na Rae Shin; Chan Mi Jeon; Ok-Kyoung Kwon; Ju Mi Hong; Hui Seong Kim; Sei-Ryang Oh; Kyung Seop Ahn
- Bibliographic Citation
- Molecular Medicine Reports, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 4640-4646
- Publication Year
- Thuja orientalis (TO) may be used as a herbal remedy for the treatment of numerous inflammatory diseases. In the present study, the effects of TO were evaluated on airway infammation in ovalbumin (OVA)-induced allergic asthma and RAW264.7 murine macrophage cells. The effects of TO on the production of proinfammatory mediators, were determined in RAW264.7 cells that had been stimulated with lipopolysaccharide (LPS). Furthermore, an in vivo experiment was performed on mice that were sensitized to OVA and then received an OVA airway challenge. TO was administered by daily oral gavage at a dose of 30 mg/kg, 21-23 days after the initial OVA sensitization. TO was shown to reduce nitric oxide production and reduce the relative mRNA expression levels of inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS), interleukin (IL)-6, cyclooxygenase-2, matrix metalloproteinase (MMP)-9, and tumor necrosis factor-α in RAW264.7 cells stimulated with LPS. In addition, TO markedly decreased the infammatory cell counts in bronchial alveolar lavage fluid, reduced the levels of IL-4, IL-5, IL-13, eotaxin and immunoglobulin E, and reduced airway hyperresponsivenes, in the OVA sensitized mice. Furthermore, TO attenuated airway infammation and mucus hypersecretion, induced by the OVA challenge of the lung tissue. TO also reduced the expression of iNOS and MMP-9 in lung tissue. In conclusion, TO exerted anti-infam-matory effects in an OVA-induced allergic asthma model, and in LPS-stimulated RAW264.7 cells. These results suggest that TO may be a useful therapeutic agent for the treatment of inflammatory diseases, including allergic asthma.
- Asthma; Inducible nitric oxide synthase; Infammation; Matrix metalloproteinase-9; Thuja orientalis
- Spandidos Publ Ltd
- Appears in Collections:
- Ochang Branch Institute > Natural Medicine Research Center > 1. Journal Articles
Ochang Branch Institute > 1. Journal Articles
- Files in This Item:
Items in OpenAccess@KRIBB are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.