A heavy-metal tolerant novel bacterium, Alcaligenes pakistanensis sp. nov., isolated from industrial effluent in Pakistan
Cited 9 time in
- A heavy-metal tolerant novel bacterium, Alcaligenes pakistanensis sp. nov., isolated from industrial effluent in Pakistan
- S Abbas; I Ahmed; T Iida; Lee Yong Jae; H J Busse; T Fujiwara; M Ohkuma
- Bibliographic Citation
- Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek International Journal of General and Molecular Microbiology, vol. 108, no. 4, pp. 859-870
- Publication Year
- Two strains, NCCP-650T and NCCP-667, were isolated from industrial effluent and their taxonomic positions were investigated using a polyphasic taxonomic approach. The strains were found to be Gram-stain negative, strictly aerobic, motile short rods, which are tolerant to heavy-metals (Cr+2, As+2, Pb+2 and Cu+2). Cells were observed to grow at a temperature range of 10？37 °C (optimal 25？33 °C), pH range of 5.5？10.0 (optimal 6.5？7.5) and can tolerate 0？7 % NaCl (w/v) (optimum 0？1 %) in tryptic soya agar medium. Sequencing of the 16S rRNA gene and two housekeeping genes, gyrB and nirK, of the isolated strains revealed that both strains belong to the Betaproteobacteria showing highest sequence similarities with members of the genus Alcaligenes. The chemotaxonomic data [major quinones as Q-8; predominant cellular fatty acids as summed features 3 (C16？:1 ω7c/iso-C15？:0 2OH) and C16:0 followed by Summed features 2 (iso-C16？:1 I/C14？:0 3OH), C17:0 Cyclo and C18:1 ω7c; major polar lipids as diphosphatidylglycerol, phosphatidylglycerol, phosphatidylethanolamine and one unidentified aminolipid] also supported the affiliation of the isolated strains with the genus Alcaligenes. DNA？DNA hybridizations between the two strains and with closely related type strains of species of the genus Alcaligenes confirmed that both isolates belong to a single novel species within the genus Alcaligenes. On the basis of phylogenetic analyses, physiological, biochemical characteristics and DNA？DNA hybridization, the isolated strains can be differentiated from established Alcaligenes species and thus represent a novel species, for which the name Alcaligenes pakistanensis sp. nov. is proposed with the type strain NCCP-650T (=LMG 28368T = KCTC42083T = JCM 30216T).
- Alcaligenes pakistanensis; gyrB gene; Heavy metals tolerance; Industrial effluent; nirK gene
- Appears in Collections:
- Jeonbuk Branch Institute > Biological Resource Center > 1. Journal Articles
- Files in This Item:
Items in OpenAccess@KRIBB are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.