Protective effect of EC-18, a synthetic monoacetyldiglyceride on lung inflammation in a murine model induced by cigarette smoke and lipopolysaccharide
Cited 13 time in
- Protective effect of EC-18, a synthetic monoacetyldiglyceride on lung inflammation in a murine model induced by cigarette smoke and lipopolysaccharide
- In Sik Shin; Kyung Seop Ahn; Na Rae Shin; Hyun-Jun Lee; Hyung Won Ryu; Jae Wha Kim; K Y Sohn; H J Kim; Y H Han; Sei-Ryang Oh
- Bibliographic Citation
- International Immunopharmacology, vol. 30, pp. 62-68
- Publication Year
- The antler of Sika deer (Cervus nippon Temminck) has been used a natural medicine in Korea, China and Japan, and a monoacetyldiaglyceride (1-palmitoyl-2-linoleoyl-3-acetylglycerol, PLAG) was found in the antler of Sika deer as a constituent for immunomodulation. In this study, we investigated protective effects of EC-18 (a synthetic copy of PLAG) on inflammatory responses using a cigarette smoke with lipopolysaccharide (LPS)-induced airway inflammation model. Mice were exposed to cigarette smoke for 1 h per day for 3 days. Ten micrograms of LPS dissolved in 50 μL of PBS was administered intra nasally 1 h after the final cigarette smoke exposure. EC-18 was administered by oral gavage at doses of 30 and 60 mg/kg for 3 days. EC-18 significantly reduced the number of neutrophils, reactive oxygen species production, cytokines and elastase activity in bronchoalveolar lavage fluid (BALF) compared with the cigarette smoke and LPS induced mice. Histologically, EC-18 attenuated airway inflammation with a reduction in myeloperoxidase expression in lung tissue. Additionally, EC-18 inhibited the phosphorylation of NF-κB and IκB induced by cigarette smoke and LPS exposure. Our results show that EC-18 effectively suppresses neutrophilic inflammation induced by cigarette smoke and LPS exposure. In conclusion, this study suggests that EC-18 has therapeutic potential for the treatment of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease; Cigarette smoke; EC-18; Lung inflammation; Monoacetyldiaglyceride
- Appears in Collections:
- Ochang Branch Institute > Natural Medicine Research Center > 1. Journal Articles
Division of Biomaterials Research > Cell Factory Research Center > 1. Journal Articles
Ochang Branch Institute > 1. Journal Articles
- Files in This Item:
Items in OpenAccess@KRIBB are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.