Cited 6 time in
- Macaca specific exon creation event generates a novel ZKSCAN5 transcript
- Young-Hyun Kim; Se Hee Choe; Bong-Seok Song; Sang Je Park; Myung Jin Kim; Young-Ho Park; Seung-Bin Yoon; Youngjeon Lee; Yeung Bae Jin; Bo Woong Sim; Ji-Su Kim; Kang Jin Jeong; Sun-Uk Kim; Sang-Rae Lee; Y I Park; Jae Won Huh; Kyu Tae Chang
- Bibliographic Citation
- Gene, vol. 577, no. 2, pp. 236-243
- Publication Year
- ZKSCAN5 (also known as ZFP95) is a zinc-finger protein belonging to the Kruppel family. ZKSCAN5 contains a SCAN box and a KRAB A domain and is proposed to play a distinct role during spermatogenesis. In humans, alternatively spliced ZKSCAN5 transcripts with different 5'-untranslated regions (. UTRs) have been identified. However, investigation of our Macaca UniGene Database revealed novel alternative ZKSCAN5 transcripts that arose due to an exon creation event. Therefore, in this study, we identified the full-length sequences of ZKSCAN5 and its alternative transcripts in Macaca spp. Additionally, we investigated different nonhuman primate sequences to elucidate the molecular mechanism underlying the exon creation event. We analyzed the evolutionary features of the ZKSCAN5 transcripts by reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) and genomic PCR, and by sequencing various nonhuman primate DNA and RNA samples. The exon-created transcript was only detected in the Macaca lineage (crab-eating monkey and rhesus monkey). Full-length sequence analysis by rapid amplification of cDNA ends (RACE) identified ten full-length transcripts and four functional isoforms of ZKSCAN5. Protein sequence analyses revealed the presence of two groups of isoforms that arose because of differences in start-codon usage. Together, our results demonstrate that there has been specific selection for a discrete set of ZKSCAN5 variants in the Macaca lineage. Furthermore, study of this locus (and perhaps others) in Macaca spp. might facilitate our understanding of the evolutionary pressures that have shaped the mechanism of exon creation in primates.
- Alternative splicing; Exon creation; Lineage specific; Macaca; ZKSCAN5
- Appears in Collections:
- Ochang Branch Institute > Division of Bioinfrastructure > National Primate Research Center > 1. Journal Articles
Ochang Branch Institute > Division of Bioinfrastructure > Futuristic Animal Resource & Research Center > 1. Journal Articles
Jeonbuk Branch Institute > Primate Resources Center > 1. Journal Articles
- Files in This Item:
Items in OpenAccess@KRIBB are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.