Rapid and reliable species identification of Carposina sasakii from its morphological homologues, by MALDI-TOF mass spectrometry
Cited 3 time in
- Rapid and reliable species identification of Carposina sasakii from its morphological homologues, by MALDI-TOF mass spectrometry
- Jun Hyoung Jeon; Hyun Woo Oh; Chan Seok Yun; B K Byun; J J Park; H S Park; Doo-Sang Park
- Bibliographic Citation
- Journal of Asia-Pacific Entomology, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 411-415
- Publication Year
- Rapid and accurate identification of pest species found on quarantine inspection is of great importance to prevent an economic loss of agricultural commodities. In this study, we tested MALDI-TOF mass spectrometry to discriminate the larvae of three morphologically similar pest species, Carposina sasakii, Grapholita molesta and Grapholita dimorpha, which usually found in Korean fruit exported to Asia and western countries. Unique mass spectra profile by MALDI-TOF MS covering a wide molecular mass range of 2000？20,000 Da were produced from twelve reference samples for three species. The Principal Component Analysis and the heat map profile showed similar pattern within same species regardless of body part of a larvae, however showed clear discrimination between different species. This identification method can discriminate species within 15 min with a relatively small sample sized 2 mm3. It also can provide a simple well documented protocol and can be widely applied to identify pests that essentially needed an urgent identification such as quarantine inspection or health related pest monitoring to reduce an economic loss or to control the spread of the disease.
- C. sasakii; G. dimorpha; G. molesta; MALDI-TOF MS; Quarantine pest; Species identification
- South Korea
- Appears in Collections:
- Division of Bio Technology Innovation > Core Facility Management Center > 1. Journal Articles
Jeonbuk Branch Institute > Biological Resource Center > 1. Journal Articles
- Files in This Item:
Items in OpenAccess@KRIBB are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.