Cited 10 time in
- Effect of sunlight radiation on the growth and chemical constituents of Salvia plebeia R.Br.
- Hyun Jae Jang; Seung Jae Lee; Cha Young Kim; Joo Tae Hwang; J H Choi; J H Park; Seung Woong Lee; Mun Chual Rho
- Bibliographic Citation
- Molecules, vol. 22, no. 8, pp. 1279-1279
- Publication Year
- This study investigated the chemical composition changes of Salvia plebeia R. Br. cultivated under different light sources, including florescent light and sunlight. The plants were exposed to fluorescent light for four months and sunlight and then examined for the next 5-7 months. Plants were harvested monthly during the seven months, and we examined whether the difference in light source affected the phenolic and flavonoid contents and antioxidant activity. A simple and reliable HPLC method using a PAH C18 column was applied for the quantitative analysis of two triterpenoids from the S. plebeia groups. Oleanolic acid (OA) and ursolic acid (UA) showed good linearity (R2 > 0.9999) within the test ranges (0.005-0.05 mg/mL), and the average percentage recoveries of the OA and UA were 95.1-104.8% and 97.2-107.1%, respectively. The intra- and inter-day relative standard deviations (RSDs) were less than 2.0%. After exposure to sunlight, the phenolic contents, including rosmarinic acid, showed a reduced tendency, whereas the flavonoid contents, including homoplantaginin and luteolin 7-glucoside, were increased. The content of the triterpenoids also showed an increased tendency under sunlight irradiation, but the variance was not larger than those of the phenolic and flavonoid contents. Among experimental groups, the group harvested at six months, having been exposed to sunlight for two months, showed the most potent antioxidant activity. Therefore, these results showed that the chemical composition and antioxidant activities of S. plebeia R. Br. was affected from environmental culture conditions, such as light source. Our studies will be useful for the development of functional materials using S. plebeia R. Br.
- AntioxidantCultivationFlavonoidHPLC validationSalvia plebeiaTriterpenoidUV
- Appears in Collections:
- Ochang Branch Institute > Division of National Bio-Infrastructure > Bio-Resource Central Bank > 1. Journal Articles
Jeonbuk Branch Institute > Functional Biomaterial Research Center > 1. Journal Articles
Jeonbuk Branch Institute > 1. Journal Articles
- Files in This Item:
Items in OpenAccess@KRIBB are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.