Physalis peruviana L. inhibits airway inflammation induced by cigarette smoke and lipopolysaccharide through inhibition of extracellular signal-regulated kinase and induction of heme oxygenase-1
Cited 10 time in
- Physalis peruviana L. inhibits airway inflammation induced by cigarette smoke and lipopolysaccharide through inhibition of extracellular signal-regulated kinase and induction of heme oxygenase-1
- Hyun Ah Park; Jae Won Lee; Ok-Kyoung Kwon; Gilhye Lee; Yurim Lim; Jung Hee Kim; Jin Hyub Paik; Sangho Choi; I Paryanto; P Yuniato; Doo-Young Kim; Hyung Won Ryu; Sei-Ryang Oh; S J Lee; Kyung Seop Ahn
- Bibliographic Citation
- International Journal of Molecular Medicine, vol. 40, no. 5, pp. 1557-1565
- Publication Year
- Physalis peruviana L. (PP) is a medicinal herb that has been confirmed to have several biological activities, including anticancer, antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. The aim of the present study was to evaluate the protective effect of PP on cigarette smoke (CS)- and lipopolysaccharide (LPS)-induced pulmonary inflammation. Treatment with PP significantly reduced the influx of inflammatory cells in the bronchoalveolar lavage fluid (BALF) and lung of mice with CS- and LPS-induced pulmonary inflammation. PP also decreased the levels of reactive oxygen species (ROS) and pro-inflammatory cytokines, such as tumor necrosis factor-a (TNF-a) and interleukin-6 (IL-6) in the BALF. PP effectively attenuated the expression of monocyte chemoattractant protein-1 (MCP-1) and the activation of extracellular signal-regulated kinase (ERK) in the lung. In addition, nuclear factor erythroid 2-related factor 2 (Nrf2) activation and heme oxygenase-1 (HO-1) expression were increased by PP treatment. In an in vitro experiment, PP reduced the mRNA expression of TNF-a and MCP-1, and the activation of ERK in CS extract-stimulated A549 epithelial cells. Furthermore, PP increased the activation of Nrf2 and the expression of HO-1 in A549 cells. These findings suggest that PP has a therapeutic potential for the treatment of pulmonary inflammatory diseases, such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.
- Airway inflammationChronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseHeme oxygenase-1NeutrophilsPhysalis peruviana L.
- Spandidos Publ Ltd
- Appears in Collections:
- Ochang Branch Institute > Natural Product Research Center > 1. Journal Articles
Ochang Branch Institute > Division of National Bio-Infrastructure > Bio-Resource Central Bank > 1. Journal Articles
Ochang Branch Institute > Division of National Bio-Infrastructure > International Biological Material Research Center > 1. Journal Articles
Ochang Branch Institute > 1. Journal Articles
- Files in This Item:
Items in OpenAccess@KRIBB are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.