Cited 4 time in
- Determination of the haplotype and complete mitochondrial genome of the leatherback turtle Dermochelys coriacea (Testudines: Dermochelyidae) found in the vicinity of Korea
- Y Cho; Hye Kwon Kim; K Lee; H W Kim; K J Park; H Sohn; Y Choi; Sung Kyun Park; Dae Gwin Jeong; Ji Hyung Kim
- Bibliographic Citation
- Conservation Genetics Resources, vol. 10, pp. 701-704
- Publication Year
- Although several strandings of the leatherback turtle (Dermochelys coriacea Vandelli, 1761) have been reported in Korea, its haplotype or mitogenome have yet to be investigated. Herein, we report the first complete mitogenome of D. coriacea. The 16,501-bp sequenced mitogenome is similar to those of other marine turtles, and the particular genetic features reported in birds and turtles were also found in ND3 and ATP8. The comparison of the control region verified that D. coriacea stranded in Korea belonged to the haplotype JD1 (identical to haplotypes I and Dc9.1). Multigene phylogeny revealed that D. coriacea was well separated from other Cheloniidae species, and the overall tree topology was congruent with the recent phylogenetic analysis of marine turtles. These results provide information fundamental for genetic and conservation studies on leatherbacks, especially the critically endangered West Pacific Ocean subpopulation.
- Haplotype; Korea; Leatherback turtle; Mitogenome
- Appears in Collections:
- Division of Research on National Challenges > Infectious Disease Research Center > 1. Journal Articles
Division of Biomaterials Research > Bionanotechnology Research Center > 1. Journal Articles
- Files in This Item:
Items in OpenAccess@KRIBB are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.