Cited 8 time in
- SPAM1/HYAL5 double deficiency in male mice leads to severe male subfertility caused by a cumulus-oocyte complex penetration defect
- S Park; Young-Hyun Kim; Pil Soo Jeong; C Park; Jeong Woong Lee; J S Kim; G Wee; Bong-Seok Song; B J Park; S H Kim; Bo Woong Sim; Sun-Uk Kim; B Triggs-Raine; T Baba; Sang-Rae Lee; E Kim
- Bibliographic Citation
- FASEB Journal, vol. 33, no. 12, pp. 14440-14449
- Publication Year
- The glycosylphosphatidylinositol-anchored sperm hyaluronidases (Hyals), sperm adhesion molecule 1 (SPAM1) and HYAL5, have long been believed to assist in sperm penetration through the cumulus-oocyte complex (COC), but their role in mammalian fertilization remains unclear. Previously, we have shown that mouse sperm devoid of either Spam1 or Hyal5 are still capable of penetrating the COC and that the loss of either Spam1 or Hyal5 alone does not cause male infertility in mice. In the present study, we found that Spam1/Hyal5 double knockout (dKO) mice produced significantly fewer offspring compared with wild-type (WT) mice, and this was due to defective COC dispersal. A comparative analysis between WT and Spam1/Hyal5 dKO epididymal sperm revealed that the absence of these 2 sperm Hyals resulted in a marked accumulation of sperm on the outside of the COC. This impaired sperm activity is likely due to the deficiency in the sperm Hyals, even though other somatic Hyals are expressed normally in the dKO mice. The fertilization ability of the Spam1/Hyal5 dKO sperm was restored by adding purified human sperm Hyal to the in vitro fertilization medium. Our results suggest that Hyal deficiency in sperm may be a significant risk factor for male sterility.-Park, S., Kim, Y.-H., Jeong, P.-S., Park, C., Lee, J.-W., Kim, J.-S., Wee, G., Song, B.-S., Park, B.-J., Kim, S.-H., Sim, B.-W., Kim, S.-U., Triggs-Raine, B., Baba, T., Lee, S.-R., Kim, E. SPAM1/HYAL5 double deficiency in male mice leads to severe male subfertility caused by a cumulus-oocyte complex penetration defect.
- dispersal of COCfertilizationsperm hyaluronidasesubfertility
- Appears in Collections:
- Ochang Branch Institute > Division of National Bio-Infrastructure > National Primate Research Center > 1. Journal Articles
Division of Biomedical Research > Biotherapeutics Translational Research Center > 1. Journal Articles
Ochang Branch Institute > Division of National Bio-Infrastructure > Futuristic Animal Resource & Research Center > 1. Journal Articles
- Files in This Item:
Items in OpenAccess@KRIBB are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.