Cited 2 time in
- Overexpression of VlPRX21 and VlPRX35 genes in Arabidopsis plants leads to bioconversion of trans-resveratrol to δ-viniferin
- Sung Chul Park; Jang Won Pyun; Yu Jeong Jeong; Su Hyun Park; Soyoung Kim; Y H Kim; J R Lee; Cha Young Kim; Jae Cheol Jeong
- Bibliographic Citation
- Plant Physiology and Biochemistry, vol. 162, pp. 556-563
- Publication Year
- Stilbenes, including resveratrol and viniferins, a small family of polyphenols, are considered the most important phytoalexin group in Vitis species. In a previous study, we found that co-treatment of methyl jasmonate (MJ) and stevioside (STE) resulted in enhanced extracellular production of viniferins in grapevine cell suspension cultures. Thus, to further understand the mechanisms of viniferin production in grapevine cell cultures, we performed transcriptome analysis and isolated seven candidates of grapevine peroxidase genes (VlAPX6, VlGPX5, VlPRX13, VlPRX21, VlPRX35, VlPRX40, and VlPRX50). Bioconversion of trans-resveratrol to δ-viniferin was examined using crude protein extracts isolated from agroinfiltration-based transient expression of VlPRXs in Nicotiana benthamiana. In addition, we found that crude protein extracts from VlPRX21-, VlPRX35-, and VlPRX40-overexpressing (OX) transgenic Arabidopsis plants led to the conversion of trans-resveratrol to δ-viniferin. We found that in vitro experiments with crude protein extracts from VlPRX21-OX and VlPRX35-OX Arabidopsis plants catalyzed the dimerization of trans-resveratrol to δ-viniferin. Our results suggest that VlPRX21 and VlPRX35 encode functional grapevine class III peroxidases and catalyze the oxidative dimerization of trans-resveratrol to form δ-viniferin in grapevine.
- Resveratrol; Viniferin; Peroxidase; Grapevine; Bioconversion
- Appears in Collections:
- Jeonbuk Branch Institute > Biological Resource Center > 1. Journal Articles
Jeonbuk Branch Institute > 1. Journal Articles
- Files in This Item:
Items in OpenAccess@KRIBB are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.