Intestinal epithelial monolayer permeability of sweet potato-derived anthocyanin and carotenoid extracts in Caco-2 cells = 고구마 유래 안토시아닌과 카로티노이드 추출물의 Caco-2 소장상피세포 단층막 투과성
Cited 0 time in
- Intestinal epithelial monolayer permeability of sweet potato-derived anthocyanin and carotenoid extracts in Caco-2 cells = 고구마 유래 안토시아닌과 카로티노이드 추출물의 Caco-2 소장상피세포 단층막 투과성
- W S Park; K A Koo; H J Kim; J M Kwon; D M Kang; H J Chung; S W Lee; Ho Soo Kim; Sang Soo Kwak; M J Ahn
- Bibliographic Citation
- Journal of Korean Society for Food Science & Nutrition, vol. 50, no. 8, pp. 765-773
- Publication Year
- Caco-2 human intestinal epithelial cells were used to determine the intestinal epithelial monolayer membrane permeability of the anthocyanin and carotenoid extracts from the purple- and yellow-flashed sweet potatoes, respectively. The permeability was analyzed at concentrations of 10 mg/mL of anthocyanin extract and 0.5 mg/mL of carotenoid extract without cellular toxicity. The Caco-2 cells were incubated for 25 days to form a monolayer on the Transwell filter. It was ensured that the membrane integrity of the monolayer was suitable for measuring the permeability in vitro by treatment with lucifer yellow and comparison with two markers, atenolol and propranolol. The permeability of lucifer yellow was 0.53% and the apparent permeability coefficients (Papp) of atenolol and propranolol were 6.01×10-7 and 2.26×10-5 cm/s, respectively, indicating that the monolayer was successfully formed. The Papp of the anthocyanin extract was 0.31×10-6, 1.57×10-6, 4.69×10-6, and 5.16×10-6 cm/s for 1, 2, 4, and 6 hours, respectively. Analysis of the permeation rate on each of the twelve anthocyanins, 7 peonidins and 5 cyanidins in the extract showed that peonidins and cyanidins possessing caffeic acid present a higher permeability than those with ferulic acid or benzoic acid. However, cryptoxanthin, 13Z-β-carotene, all-trans-β-carotene, and 9Z-β-carotene in the carotenoid extract were not detectable within 6 hours of the incubation time. Copyright ⓒ 2021 by The Korean Society of Food Science and Nutrition.
- Sweet potato; Anthocyanin; Carotenoid; Caco-2; Monolayer permeability
- Appears in Collections:
- 1. Journal Articles > Journal Articles
- Files in This Item:
Items in OpenAccess@KRIBB are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.