Panax ginseng prevents apoptosis in hair follicles and accelerates recovery of hair medullary cells in irradiated mice
Cited 0 time in
- Panax ginseng prevents apoptosis in hair follicles and accelerates recovery of hair medullary cells in irradiated mice
- Sung Ho Kim; Kyu Shik Jeong; Si Yun Ryu; Tae Hwan Kim
- Bibliographic Citation
- in Vivo, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 219-222
- Publication Year
- We studied the effect of the water fraction of Panax ginseng, one of traditional oriental medicine herbs on apoptosis and the formation of medullary cell in the hair follicles of irradiated mice. The hair follicle or its differentiated product, the hair, which represents a linear historical record follicular proliferative activity, could provide a biological indicator of the effect of radioprotecive drugs. Adult N:GP(s) mice with hair follicles synchronously, in the middle of the hair growth cycle received whole-body doses of γ-radiation. The hair follicles were analysed either 12 hours after irradiation with 2 Gy in the experiment on the apoptosis, or 3 days after irradiation with 3 Gy in the experiment on the forming medulla. The number of medullary cells per unit length (100 μm) were measured by H and E staining. Apoptosis was detected by a nonisotopic in situ DNA end-labeling (ISEL) technique and H and E stain applied to the serial histologic sections. Ginseng administration before irradiation resulted in a suppression of apoptosis, as shown by a reduced number of cells stained with ISEL for fragmented DNA, both I.P. (0.3 mg/head, p < 0.05) and P.O. (2mg/ml of drinking water, p < 0.05) treatment In addition, ginseng treatment was associated with an increase in the number of medullary cell per unit length as compared with the vehicle treated eaten mice (p < 0.001, I.P.; p < 0.05, P.O.). These results indicate that the water fraction of ginseng can exert a potent effect on the recovery of the hair follicles by its combined effects on proliferation and apoptosis of the cells in the hair follicle.
- irradiationapoptosismedullary cellhair folliclePanax ginseng
- Int Inst Anticancer Research
- Appears in Collections:
- 1. Journal Articles > Journal Articles
- Files in This Item:
Items in OpenAccess@KRIBB are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.