Selective left-lobe atrophy by nodularin treatment accompanied by reduced protein phosphatase 1/2a and increased peroxisome proliferation in rat liver
Cited 0 time in
- Selective left-lobe atrophy by nodularin treatment accompanied by reduced protein phosphatase 1/2a and increased peroxisome proliferation in rat liver
- In Kyung Lim; Tae Jun Park; Sang Chul Park; Gye Soon Yoon; Choong Sil Kwak; Myung Soog Lee; Kye Yong Song; Yang Kyu Choi; Byung Hwa Hyun
- Bibliographic Citation
- International Journal of Cancer, vol. 91, no. 1, pp. 32-40
- Publication Year
- The effect of nodularin on selective atrophy of left lobes in the liver was investigated in F344 rats. Nodularin was injected for 10 weeks from the third week of initiation with saline or N-nitrosodiethylamine (DEN), grouped as S/N and D/N, respectively. Nodularin significantly decreased weights of left (LL) and caudate (CL) lobes but increased right (RL) and middle (ML) lobes in S/N rats. Activity of protein phosphatases [types I (PPI) and 2A (PP2A)] was more severely reduced in S/N than D/N rats; moreover, in LL compared with RL of S/N rats, activity was significantly inhibited by nodularin treatment from week 4, which corresponded to 2 weeks after nodularin injection. However, nodularin significantly induced peroxisomal palmitoyl-CoA oxidase and cytochrome P-450 4AI expression in S/N compared with D/N rats. An effect of nodularin on apoptosis was evident since expression of Bcl-X(s) was clearly induced in LL of S/N rats as opposed to various inductions of Bcl-(L). However, Bcl-(L) in RL was persistently induced, with undetectable Bcl-X(s) expression. These results demonstrate biochemical evidence of selective atrophy of LL by inhibition of PPI and PP2A activity, increase of peroxisomal enzymes and induction of Bcl-X(s) expression, in contrast to proliferation of RL in rats treated with nodularin alone. However, nodularin endowed DEN-altered hepatocytes with regenerating power and concomitant restoration of phosphatase activity as well as persistent expression of Bcl-(L) in D/N rats.
- left-lobe atrophy; nodularin; peroxisome proliferation; protein phosphatase 1/2A
- Appears in Collections:
- 1. Journal Articles > Journal Articles
- Files in This Item:
Items in OpenAccess@KRIBB are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.