Effect of Acanthopanax koreanum Nakai (Araliaceae) on D-galactosamine and lipopolysaccharide-induced fulminant hepatitis
Cited 33 time in
- Effect of Acanthopanax koreanum Nakai (Araliaceae) on D-galactosamine and lipopolysaccharide-induced fulminant hepatitis
- J X Nan; E J Park; Jeong Bum Nam; Y Z Zhao; X F Cai; Y H Kim; D H Sohn; Jung Joon Lee
- Bibliographic Citation
- Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 92, no. 1, pp. 71-77
- Publication Year
- The hepatoprotective effects of Acanthopanax koreanum Nakai (Araliaceae) were evaluated in D-galactosamine/lipopolysaccharide-induced fulminant hepatic failure in mouse. Preparations of Acanthopanax koreanum used were an ethanol extract, a water extract, and the ethanol-soluble and ethanol-insoluble components of the water extract of roots or stems of the plant. Mice were pretreated with various extracts by intraperitoneal injection or orally, 12 and 1h before intraperitoneal injection of D-galactosamine and lipopolysaccharide (LPS). Intraperitoneal pretreatment with the water extract or the ethanol-insoluble component of the water extract markedly reduced the elevated levels of alanine aminotransferase (ALT), aspartate aminotransferase (AST), and tumor necrosis factor-alpha (TNF-alpha), reduced the histological changes in the liver, and attenuated hepatocyte apoptosis confirmed by the terminal deoxynucleotidyl transferase-mediated dUTP nick end-labeling method and DNA fragmentation assay. Oral pretreatment with the ethanol-insoluble component of the water extract also reduced serum AST, ALT, and TNF-alpha levels. The present study shows that the ethanol-insoluble component of a water extract from Acanthopanax koreanum has a protective effect against the induction of fulminant hepatitis in mice by D-galactosamine and lipopolysaccharide.
- Acanthopanax koreanumApoptosisTumor necrosis factor-alphaFulminant hepatitis
- Appears in Collections:
- 1. Journal Articles > Journal Articles
- Files in This Item:
Items in OpenAccess@KRIBB are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.