Virgibacillus dokdonensis sp. nov., isolated from a Korean island, Dokdo, located at the edge of the East Sea in Korea
Cited 49 time in
- Virgibacillus dokdonensis sp. nov., isolated from a Korean island, Dokdo, located at the edge of the East Sea in Korea
- Jung-Hoon Yoon; So Jung Kang; Soo Young Lee; Mi-Hwa Lee; Tae Kwang Oh
- Bibliographic Citation
- International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology, vol. 55, no. 5, pp. 1833-1837
- Publication Year
- A Gram-variable, motile, endospore-forming, slightly halophilic bacterial strain, DSW-10T, was isolated from Dokdo, an island located at the edge of the East Sea, Korea, and was characterized taxonomically by using a polyphasic approach. This isolate grew optimally at 37 °C and in the presence of 4-5% NaCl. Strain DSW-10T had cell-wall peptidoglycan based on meso-diaminopimelic acid, MK-7 as the predominant menaquinone, and anteiso-C15:0, iso-C15:0, anteiso-C17:0 and iso-C16:0 as major fatty acids. Major polar lipids were diphosphatidylglycerol, phosphatidylglycerol, phosphatidylethanolamine and unidentified phospholipids. The DNA G+C content was 36.7 mol%. Phylogenetic analyses based on 16S rRNA gene sequences showed that strain DSW-10T is phylogenetically affiliated to the genus Virgibacillus, and exhibited sequence similarity of 95.3-98.7% to the type strains of Virgibacillus species. DNA-DNA relatedness levels between strain DSW-10T and the type strains of some phylogenetically related Virgibacillus species were in the range 8.4-17.5%. On the basis of phenotypic properties and phylogenetic and genetic distinctiveness, strain DSW-10T (=KCTC 3933T=DSM 16826T) was classified as the type strain of a novel Virgibacillus species, for which the name Virgibacillus dokdonensis sp. nov. is proposed.
- Microbiology Soc
- Appears in Collections:
- Division of Biomedical Research > Metabolic Regulation Research Center > 1. Journal Articles
- Files in This Item:
Items in OpenAccess@KRIBB are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.