Genomic blueprint of Hahella chejuensis, a marine microbe producing an algicidal agent = 살조물질을 생산하는 해양미생물 하헬라 제주엔시스의 유전체 청사진
Cited 131 time in
- Genomic blueprint of Hahella chejuensis, a marine microbe producing an algicidal agent = 살조물질을 생산하는 해양미생물 하헬라 제주엔시스의 유전체 청사진
- Haeyoung Jeong; J H Yim; Choong Hwan Lee; Sang-Haeng Choi; Yon Kyoung Park; Sung Ho Yoon; Cheol-Goo Hur; Hoyoung Ghang; Dockyu Kim; Hyun Hee Lee; Kun Hyang Park; Seung Hwan Park; Hong-Seog Park; H K Lee; Tae Kwang Oh; Jihyun Kim
- Bibliographic Citation
- Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 33, no. 22, pp. 7066-7073
- Publication Year
- Harmful algal blooms, caused by rapid growth and accumulation of certain microalgae in the ocean, pose considerable impacts on marine environments, aquatic industries and even public health. Here, we present the 7.2-megabase genome of the marine bacterium Hahella chejuensis including genes responsible for the biosynthesis of a pigment which has the lytic activity against a red-tide dinoflagellate. H.chejuensis is the first sequenced species in the ceanospiralles clade, and sequence analysis revealed its distant relationship to the Pseudomonas group. The genome was well equipped with genes for basic metabolic capabilities and contained a large number of genes involved in regulation or transport as well as with characteristics as a marine heterotroph. Sequence analysis also revealed a multitude of genes of functional equivalence or of possible foreign origin. Functions encoded in the genomic islands include biosynthesis of exopolysacchrides, toxins, polyketides or non-ribosomal peptides, iron utilization, motility, type III protein secretion and pigmentation. Molecular structure of the algicidal pigment, which was determined through LC-ESI-MS/MS and NMR analyses, indicated that it is prodigiosin. In conclusion, our work provides new insights into mitigating algal blooms in addition to genetic make-up, physiology, biotic interactions and biological roles in the community of a marine bacterium.
- Oxford Univ Press
- Appears in Collections:
- Division of Research on National Challenges > Infectious Disease Research Center > 1. Journal Articles
Ochang Branch Institute > Division of National Bio-Infrastructure > Laboratory Animal Resource & Research Center > 1. Journal Articles
Division of Bio Technology Innovation > Core Research Facility & Analysis Center > 1. Journal Articles
Division of Biomedical Research > Metabolic Regulation Research Center > 1. Journal Articles
- Files in This Item:
Items in OpenAccess@KRIBB are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.