A homolog of the O157 urease-encoding O island 48 is present in porcine O149:H10 enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli = O157-urease 유전자를 포함하는 O-48 게놈영역은 돼지하리를 일으키는 O149:H10 대장균에도 존재
Cited 4 time in
- A homolog of the O157 urease-encoding O island 48 is present in porcine O149:H10 enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli = O157-urease 유전자를 포함하는 O-48 게놈영역은 돼지하리를 일으키는 O149:H10 대장균에도 존재
- V R Parreira; J H Liao; Sang-Hyun Kim; C L Gyles
- Bibliographic Citation
- Veterinary Research, vol. 39, no. 3, pp. 38-38
- Publication Year
- The relationship of the urease operon in the highly virulent O149 porcine enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli (ETEC) strain Ro8 to a genomic island (GI) homologous to O island (OI) 48 of O157 enterohemorrhagic E. coli (EHEC) strain EDL933 was investigated. Eighty-four of 84 O149:H10 strains were urease positive whereas 44 of 44 O149:H43 porcine ETEC strains were urease-negative. Seventeen of 17 O149:H10 strains that were tested possessed the OI-48 homolog whereas 24 of 24 O149:H43 strains lacked this OI. Transposon insertions in lipB or guaA genes in strain Ro8 eliminated urease activity while insertions in the caiF gene increased urease activity. When the O149 ure operon was cloned on a high copy number plasmid, urease expression was increased approximately 11-fold in Ro8 and 83-fold in O157 strain EDL933 compared with that in the wild type Ro8. The O149 urease activity was expressed despite the presence of the same premature stop codon in ureD that is present in ure+ O157:H7 strains that are urease-negative. The ure operon in Ro8 consists of 4 893 nucleotides with 99% identity with the ure operons in EHEC O157:H7 strains EDL933 and Sakai, and is part of a GI similar to GI-48 of strain EDL933. This OI, designated OI-48149, is inserted in the serX tRNA gene in strain Ro8 and contains genes for urease, tellurite resistance, iha and an AIDA-I-like adhesin. The presence of a homolog of the O157:H7 OI-48 in highly virulent O149 porcine ETEC suggests that this OI may contribute to establishment of the bacteria in the intestine.
- genomic islandO149OI-48porcine enterotoxigenic E. coliurease
- Appears in Collections:
- 1. Journal Articles > Journal Articles
- Files in This Item:
Items in OpenAccess@KRIBB are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.