Effect of radish leaves powder on the gastrointestinal function and fecal triglyceride, and sterol excretion in rats fed a hypercholesterolemic diet = 무청분말이 콜레스테롤식이를 공급한 흰쥐의 장기능 및 분변 중 중성지질 및 Sterol 배설에 미치는 영향
Cited 7 time in
- Effect of radish leaves powder on the gastrointestinal function and fecal triglyceride, and sterol excretion in rats fed a hypercholesterolemic diet = 무청분말이 콜레스테롤식이를 공급한 흰쥐의 장기능 및 분변 중 중성지질 및 Sterol 배설에 미치는 영향
- Hyun-Seo Jang; J M Ahn; K H Ku; S J Rhee; S K Kang; J H Choi
- Bibliographic Citation
- Journal of Korea Society of Food & Nutrition, vol. 37, no. 10, pp. 1258-1263
- Publication Year
- The current study examined the effects of radish leaves powder on the excretion of fecal triglyceride, and sterol and hepatic UDP-glucuronyl transferase (UDPGT) activity in rats fed hypercholesterolemic diet. Male Sprague-Dawley rats weighing 100±10 g were randomly assigned to normal control group (N group), normal diet with 5% radish leaves powder supplemented group (NR) and hypercholesterolemic groups, which were sub-divided into radish leaves powder free diet group (HC) and 2.5% (HRL), 5% (HRM), and 10% (HRH) radish leaves powder supplemented groups. The experimental diets were fed ad libitum for 4 weeks. Fecal weights and water contents were significantly increased in all radish leaves powder supplemented groups (NR, HRL, HRM, and HRH) than that of N and HC groups. Fecal total lipid contents including fecal neutral and acidic sterols in radish leaves powder supplemented groups were higher than those of the HC group, and especially that of HRH group was the highest among all experimental groups. Hepatic UDPGT activity of HRH group was 38% higher than that of HC group. Excretions of fecal bile acid were increased 2.3 and 2.7 folds in HRM and HRH groups compared with that of HC group. And neutral sterol, coprostanol, and coprostanone contents of them were higher in radish leaves supplemented groups than in HC group. These results suggest that radish leaves may act as potential substitute for a dietary fiber capable of improving a gastrointestinal function and lipid metabolism.
- fecal sterol excretion; hypercholesterolemic diet; radish leaves powder; UDP-glucuronyl transferase (UDPGT)
- South Korea
- Appears in Collections:
- 1. Journal Articles > Journal Articles
- Files in This Item:
Items in OpenAccess@KRIBB are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.