Antiviral activity of hot-water extract and its ethanol precipitate of Phellinus pini fruiting body = 낙엽진흙버섯 자실체 유래 열수 추출물과 에탄올 침전물의 항바이러스활성
Cited 0 time in
- Antiviral activity of hot-water extract and its ethanol precipitate of Phellinus pini fruiting body = 낙엽진흙버섯 자실체 유래 열수 추출물과 에탄올 침전물의 항바이러스활성
- S M Lee; S M Kim; Y H Lee; W J Kim; Y S Na; H G Kim; J H Nam; H D Shin; Dur Han Kwon; Y I Park
- Bibliographic Citation
- Korean Journal of (Applied) Microbiology & Biotechnology, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 33-41
- Publication Year
- The crushed fruiting body of Alaskan Porodaedalea pini (Brot.) Murrill (syn. Phellinus pini) was extracted in boiling water for 4 h with the yield of 20.5% in dry mass. This hot-water extract showed significant antiviral activity by inhibiting the plaque formation in HeLa cells by coxackjevirus B3 (CVB3) and also showed highest inhibitory effect against neuraminidase activity among water extracts of various mushrooms. From the water extract, the ethanol precipitate (EP) and supernatant fraction (ES) were obtained through 75% ethanol precipitation with the yield of 43.3% and 28.3 % in dry mass, respectively. Whereas ES did not show any detectable level of antiviral activity, EP showed significant dose-dependent inhibition of plaque formation by CVB3 in HeLa cells with an EC50 (50% effective concentration) of 0.45 mg/mL. The cytotoxicity on HeLa cells by EP was relatively low with the CC50 (50% cytotoxic concentration) of 2.25 mg/mL. EP also effectively inhibited neuraminidase activity in a dose-dependent manner showing up to 75% inhibition at 1.7 mg/mL. These results suggest that the hot-water extract and. its EP of P. pini fruiting body can be a candidate for the development of a potent broad-range antiviral agent against influenza virus(Flu) as well as CVB3. The major active component of EP was shown to be a heteropolysaccharide-protein complex containing glucose as the main sugar residue with mole percentage of 79.8% and other sugars like galactose (19.2%), xylose (17%), mannqse (5.8%), and fucose (4.6%) and a small portion (12.7%, in mass) of protein.
- antiviral activityCVB3ethanol precipitationhot water extractneuraminidasephellinus pini
- Korea Soc-Assoc-Inst
- Appears in Collections:
- 1. Journal Articles > Journal Articles
- Files in This Item:
Items in OpenAccess@KRIBB are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.