Protective effect of Hovenia dulcis thumb leaves extract on hepatic injury induced by benzo(a)pyrene in mice = 헛개나무 잎 추출물의 벤조피렌 유발 간 독성에 대한 보호효과
Cited 4 time in
- Protective effect of Hovenia dulcis thumb leaves extract on hepatic injury induced by benzo(a)pyrene in mice = 헛개나무 잎 추출물의 벤조피렌 유발 간 독성에 대한 보호효과
- S H Park; E Y Chang; Jong Sun Chang; K Y Yoon
- Bibliographic Citation
- Journal of Korean Society for Food Science & Nutrition, vol. 38, no. 5, pp. 569-573
- Publication Year
- This study was carried out to investigate the protective effect of Hovenia dulcis Thumb leaves extract on liver damage in benzo(α)pyrene (B(α)P)-treated mice. Hovenia dulcis Thumb leaves methanol extract was intraperitoneally injected once daily for 5 successive days, followed by treatment with B(α)p. The elevated activities of serum aminotransferase and hepatic cytochrome P450 by B(α)p were decreased by pretreatment with Hovenia dulcis Thumb leaves extract. Hovenia dulcis Thumb leaves extract also significantly prevented the elevation of hepatic malondialdehyde content and depletion of glutathione content induced by B(α)P. In addition, the increased activities of superoxide dismutase, catalase and glutathione peroxidase after B(α)P-treatment were decreased. On the other hand, glutathione S-transferase activity was increased by pretreatment with Hovenia dulcis Thumb leaves extract. These results suggest that Hovenia dulcis Thumb leaves extract have a protective effect on liver damage by B(α)P through the mechanisms of decreasing lipid peroxide and activities of free radical generating enzymes.
- Hovenia dulcis Thumb leavesbenzo(α)pyrenehepatotoxicity
- Korea Soc-Assoc-Inst
- Appears in Collections:
- 1. Journal Articles > Journal Articles
- Files in This Item:
Items in OpenAccess@KRIBB are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.