Methanolic extract of onion (Allium cepa) attenuates ischemia/hypoxia- induced apoptosis in cardiomyocytes via antioxidant effect
Cited 46 time in
- Methanolic extract of onion (Allium cepa) attenuates ischemia/hypoxia- induced apoptosis in cardiomyocytes via antioxidant effect
- S Park; M Y Kim; D H Lee; S H Lee; E J Baik; C H Moon; S W Park; E Y Ko; Sei Ryang Oh; Y S Jung
- Bibliographic Citation
- European Journal of Nutrition, vol. 48, no. 4, pp. 235-242
- Publication Year
- Background Although there is growing awareness of the beneficial potential of onion intake to lower the risk of cardiovascular disease, there is little information about the effect of onion on ischemic heart injury, one of the most common cardiovascular diseases. Aim of the study This study investigates the effect of the methanol-soluble extract of onion on ischemic injury in heart-derived H9c2 cells in vitro and in rat hearts in vivo. The underlying mechanism is also investigated. Methods To evaluate the effect of onion on ischemia-induced cell death, LDH release and TUNEL-positivity were assessed in H9c2 cells, and the infarct size was measured in a myocardial infarct model. To investigate the mechanism of the cardioprotection by onion, the reactive oxygen species (ROS) level and the mitochondrial membrane potential (ΔΨm) were measured using an imaging technique; the caspase-3 activity was assayed, and Western blotting was performed to examine cytochrome c release in H9c2 cells. Results The methanolic extract of onion had a preventive effect on ischemia/hypoxia-induced apoptotic death in H9c2 cells in vitro and in rat heart in vivo. The onion extract (0.05 g/ml) inhibited the elevation of the ROS, mitochondrial membrane depolarization, cytochrome c release and caspase-3 activation during hypoxia in H9c2 cells. In the in vivo rat myocardial infarction model, onion extract (10 g/kg) significantly reduced the infarct size, the apoptotic cell death of the heart and the plasma MDA level. Conclusion In conclusion, the results of this study suggest that the methanolic extract of onion attenuates ischemia/hypoxia-induced apoptosis in heart-derived H9c2 cells in vitro and in rat hearts in vivo, through, at least in part, an antioxidant effect.
- Antioxidant; Apoptosis; Cardioprotection; Ischemic injury; Onion extract
- Appears in Collections:
- Ochang Branch Institute > 1. Journal Articles
- Files in This Item:
Items in OpenAccess@KRIBB are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.