Exogenous sucrose utilization and starch biosynthesis among sweetpotato cultivars

Cited 33 time in scopus
Metadata Downloads
Title
Exogenous sucrose utilization and starch biosynthesis among sweetpotato cultivars
Author(s)
Young Ock Ahn; Sun Ha Kim; Cha Young Kim; J S Lee; Sang Soo Kwak; Haeng Soon Lee
Bibliographic Citation
Carbohydrate Research, vol. 345, no. 1, pp. 55-60
Publication Year
2010
Abstract
Three sweetpotato cultivars were investigated for their starch content and amylose/amylopectin ratio. Ym starch contains 87.2% amylopectin and 12.8% amylose, when total starch was calculated as 100%. The Zm cultivar contains 33.6% amylopectin and 18.2% amylose, and its total starch was calculated as 51.8% of that of Ym. The Hm cultivar contains 39.1% amylopectin and 30.5% amylose, and its total starch was 69.6%. We analyzed the expression levels of starch and sucrose biosynthesis-related genes including AGPases a, b, and c; sucrose synthases I and II; starch synthase I; GBSS I; and SBEs I and II. All genes tested in this experiment were detected only in Ym, while several genes showed very faint or no expression in Zm and Hm. We also measured tissue-specific expression of these genes in whole plants of Ym. Most of the genes are expressed in the stem and roots of the plants. Expression profiles of starch synthesis-related genes of the sweetpotato leaves were investigated after supplementing the different concentrations of sucrose solution. All genes in Ym were clearly induced by sucrose, but the expression levels of some of these genes did not change in Zm and Hm. The total starch content of Ym, Zm, and Hm gradually increased over time on addition of 3%, 6%, and 9% sucrose concentrations. The greatest accumulation was observed in Ym at 48 h, and it was almost 2.24 times higher than that of the (0%) control, while Zm and Hm showed 1.76 and 1.91 times higher levels of starch, respectively. These results indicate that cooperative expression of all related genes is essential for starch biosynthesis from sucrose. This is the first report on different sucrose contents and the efficiency with which exogenous sucrose switches on gene expression of starch biosynthesis-related genes among cultivars.
Keyword
StarchStarch biosynthesisSucroseSucrose feedingSweetpotato
ISSN
0008-6215
Publisher
Elsevier
DOI
http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.carres.2009.08.025
Type
Article
Appears in Collections:
Jeonbuk Branch Institute > 1. Journal Articles
Division of Research on National Challenges > Plant Systems Engineering Research > 1. Journal Articles
Files in This Item:
  • There are no files associated with this item.


Items in OpenAccess@KRIBB are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.