Platycodon grandiflorum root-derived saponins attenuate atopic dermatitis-like skin lesions via suppression of NF-κB and STAT1 and activation of Nrf2/ARE-mediated heme oxygenase-1 = 도라지유래 사포닌 platycodin D가 NF-kB, STAT1, 아토피성 피부염 진전 억제
Cited 43 time in
- Platycodon grandiflorum root-derived saponins attenuate atopic dermatitis-like skin lesions via suppression of NF-κB and STAT1 and activation of Nrf2/ARE-mediated heme oxygenase-1 = 도라지유래 사포닌 platycodin D가 NF-kB, STAT1, 아토피성 피부염 진전 억제
- J H Choi; S W Jin; E H Han; B H Park; H G Kim; T Khanal; Y P Hwang; M T Do; Hyun Sun Lee; Y C Chung; H S Kim; T C Jeong; H G Jeong
- Bibliographic Citation
- Phytomedicine, vol. 21, no. 8, pp. 1053-1061
- Publication Year
- Purpose The consequences of precipitously rising allergic skin inflammation rates worldwide have accelerated the risk of atopic dermatitis (AD). Natural product-based agents with good efficacy and low risk of side effects offer promising prevention and treatment strategies for inflammation-related diseases. We have already reported that Platycodon grandiflorum root-derived saponins (Changkil saponins, CKS) have many pharmacological effects, including anti-inflammatory and anti-allergic effects, but its influence on AD remains unclear. Therefore, we evaluated the inhibitory effect of CKS, mainly platycodin D, on AD-like skin symptoms in mice and the possible mechanisms in cells. Methods Mice were sensitized and challenged with 2,4-dinitrochlorobenzene (DNCB). Four weeks after challenge, mice were treated with oral administration of CKS for 4 weeks. In addition, cells were used to evaluate the effect of CKS, mainly platycodin D, on the TARC expression regulated mechanism. Results CKS attenuated DNCB-induced dermatitis severity, serum levels of IgE and TARC, and mRNA expression of TARC, TNF-α, IFN-γ, IL-4, IL-5, and IL-13 in mice. Histopathological examination showed reduced thickness of the epidermis/dermis and dermal infiltration of inflammatory cells and mast cells in the ears. Moreover, CKS and platycodin D inhibited TNF-α/IFN-γ- induced TARC expression through the suppression of NF-κB and STAT1 and induction of Nrf2/ARE-mediated hemeoxygenase-1 (HO-1) expression in cells. Conclusion We suggest that CKS and platycodin D inhibited the development of AD-like skin symptoms by regulating cytokine mediators and may be an effective alternative therapy for AD-like skin symptoms.
- Atopic dermatitisHO-1NF-κBPlatycodon grandiflorumSaponinsSTAT1
- Appears in Collections:
- Ochang Branch Institute > Natural Product Research Center > 1. Journal Articles
- Files in This Item:
Items in OpenAccess@KRIBB are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.