Picroside II attenuates airway inflammation by downregulating the transcription factor GATA3 and Th2-related cytokines in a mouse model of HDM-induced allergic asthma
Cited 20 time in
- Picroside II attenuates airway inflammation by downregulating the transcription factor GATA3 and Th2-related cytokines in a mouse model of HDM-induced allergic asthma
- Jin Choi; Bo Gyong Choi; Jin Seok Kim; Jae Won Lee; Hyun Ah Park; Hyung Won Ryu; Su Ui Lee; K W Hwang; Woon Kee Yoon; Hyoung-Chin Kim; Kyung Seop Ahn; Sei-Ryang Oh; Hyun-Jun Lee
- Bibliographic Citation
- PLoS One, vol. 11, no. 11, pp. e0167098-e0167098
- Publication Year
- Picroside II isolated from Pseudolysimachion rotundum var. subintegrum has been used as traditional medicine to treat inflammatory diseases. In this study, we assessed whether picroside II has inhibitory effects on airway inflammation in a mouse model of house dust mite (HDM)-induced asthma. In the HDM-induced asthmatic model, picroside II significantly reduced inflammatory cell counts in the bronchoalveolar lavage fluid (BALF), the levels of total immunoglobulin (Ig) E and HDM-specific IgE and IgG1 in serum, airway inflammation, and mucus hypersecretion in the lung tissues. ELISA analysis showed that picroside II down-regulated the levels of Th2-related cytokines (including IL-4, IL-5, and IL-13) and asthma-related mediators, but it up-regulated Th1-related cytokine, IFNγ in BALF. Picroside II also inhibited the expression of Th2 type cytokine genes and the transcription factor GATA3 in the lung tissues of HDM-induced mice. Finally, we demonstrated that picroside II significantly decreased the expression of GATA3 and Th2 cytokines in developing Th2 cells, consistent with in vivo results. Taken together, these results indicate that picroside II has protective effects on allergic asthma by reducing GATA3 expression and Th2 cytokine bias.
- Public Library of Science
- Appears in Collections:
- Ochang Branch Institute > Natural Medicine Research Center > 1. Journal Articles
Ochang Branch Institute > Division of Bioinfrastructure > Laboratory Animal Resource Center > 1. Journal Articles
Ochang Branch Institute > 1. Journal Articles
- Files in This Item:
Items in OpenAccess@KRIBB are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.