Cited 4 time in
- Syntrophic co-culture of a methanotroph and heterotroph for the efficient conversion of methane to mevalonate
- Hyewon Lee; Ji In Baek; Jin-Young Lee; Jiyeong Jeong; Haseong Kim; Dae Hee Lee; D M Kim; Seung Goo Lee
- Bibliographic Citation
- Metabolic Engineering, vol. 67, pp. 285-292
- Publication Year
- As the bioconversion of methane becomes increasingly important for bio-industrial and environmental applications, methanotrophs have received much attention for their ability to convert methane under ambient conditions. This includes the extensive reporting of methanotroph engineering for the conversion of methane to biochemicals. To further increase methane usability, we demonstrated a highly flexible and efficient modular approach based on a synthetic consortium of methanotrophs and heterotrophs mimicking the natural methane ecosystem to produce mevalonate (MVA) from methane. In the methane-conversion module, we used Methylococcus capsulatus Bath as a highly efficient methane biocatalyst and optimized the culture conditions for the production of high amounts of organic acids. In the MVA-synthesis module, we used Escherichia coli SBA01, an evolved strain with high organic acid tolerance and utilization ability, to convert organic acids to MVA. Using recombinant E. coli SBA01 possessing genes for the MVA pathway, 61 mg/L (0.4 mM) of MVA was successfully produced in 48 h without any addition of nutrients except methane. Our platform exhibited high stability and reproducibility with regard to cell growth and MVA production. We believe that this versatile system can be easily extended to many other value-added processes and has a variety of potential applications.
- Appears in Collections:
- Synthetic Biology and Bioengineering Research Institute > Synthetic Biology Research Center > 1. Journal Articles
Synthetic Biology and Bioengineering Research Institute > 1. Journal Articles
- Files in This Item:
Items in OpenAccess@KRIBB are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.