Antifungal effect of melittin-hybrid synthetic peptides for Fusarium oxysporum = Melittin-hybrid 합성 펩타이드가 Fusarium oxysporum의 성장에 미치는 저해효과
Cited 0 time in
- Antifungal effect of melittin-hybrid synthetic peptides for Fusarium oxysporum = Melittin-hybrid 합성 펩타이드가 Fusarium oxysporum의 성장에 미치는 저해효과
- Dong Gun Lee; Song Yub Shin; Sung Gu Lee; Myung Kyu Lee; Kyung Soo Hahm
- Bibliographic Citation
- Korean Journal of (Applied) Microbiology & Biotechnology, vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 529-533
- Publication Year
- Melittin (ME) from honey-bee venom has a broad range of strong antimicrobial activity, but it has hemolytic activity against eukaryotic cells. In order to design peptides with powerful antifungal activity without cytotoxic property of ME and understand structure-antifungal activity relationships, the hybrid peptides derived from the sequences of ME and cecropin A (CA) or magainin 2 (MA), MA(10-17)ME(1-12) and CA(1-8)ME(1-12), were synthesized by solid phase method. MA(10-17)ME(1-12) showed potent antifungal activity comparable to ME against Fusarium oxysporum with no hemolytic activity against human red blood cells. The hybrid peptides showed strong inhibition of (1,3)-β-D-glucan synthase. This result indicates that the antifungal activity of the hybrid peptides against Fusarium oxysporum is attributed to the inhibition of cell wall synthesis. The results therefore showed a successful design of a peptide having antifungal activity without hemolytic property.
- β-1.3 glucan synthaseAntifungal activityHybrid peptideMelittin
- Korea Soc-Assoc-Inst
- Appears in Collections:
- 1. Journal Articles > Journal Articles
- Files in This Item:
Items in OpenAccess@KRIBB are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.