Platelet-agglutinating protein p37 from a patient with thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura has characteristics similar to prethrombin 2
Cited 0 time in
- Platelet-agglutinating protein p37 from a patient with thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura has characteristics similar to prethrombin 2
- Seung Ho Kim; S J Park; J W Lee; J Y Jin
- Bibliographic Citation
- BMB Reports, vol. 35, no. 5, pp. 524-531
- Publication Year
- Thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura (TTP) is characterized by widespread platelet thrombi in arterioles and capillaries. Unusually large or multimeric von Willebrand factor, as well as one or more platelet-agglutinating factors, have been implicated in the pathogenesis of TTP. But, the actual mechanisms of platelet agglutination have not been satisfactorily explained. Recent studies suggested the 37-kDa platelet-agglutinating protein (PAP) p37 to be partially responsible for the formation of platelet thrombi in patients with TTP. We studied mobility in SDS-PAGE, the sequence of N-terminal amino acid residues, DNA and antigenic characteristics of PAP p37, which might be related to the pathogenesis of TTP. PAP p37 was purified from the plasma of a 31-year-old male Korean patient with acute TTP. The findings are as follows: (1) We compared PAP p37 with thrombin through the use of SDS-PAGE, either with or without β-mercaptoethanol. PAP p37 did not appear to be cleaved between the A- and B-chains of prethrombin 2. However, thrombin did cleave between those of prethrombin 2, but linked with disulfide bridge. (2) Nterminal 21 amino acid sequence of PAP p37 was T-F-G-S-G-E-A-D-X-G-L-R-P-L-F-E-K-K-S-L-E. It appeared to be identical to that of 285-305 amino acid residues of human prothrombin (prethrombin 2). (3) No prothrombin gene DNA mutation was revealed. (4). The antigenicity of PAP p37 was similar to thrombin, which was a result of the competitive binding against the anti-thrombin antibody. With these results, we conclude that PAP p37 has similar characteristics to prethrombin2.
- p37Platelet-agglutinating protein (PAP)Prethrombin2TTP
- Korea Soc-Assoc-Inst
- Appears in Collections:
- 1. Journal Articles > Journal Articles
- Files in This Item:
Items in OpenAccess@KRIBB are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.