Neuroprotective and free radical scavenging activities of phenolic compounds from Hovenia dulcis = Hovenia dulcis로부터 분리한 phenolic compounds의 neuroprotective와 free radical scavenging activities
Cited 54 time in
- Neuroprotective and free radical scavenging activities of phenolic compounds from Hovenia dulcis = Hovenia dulcis로부터 분리한 phenolic compounds의 neuroprotective와 free radical scavenging activities
- Gao Li; B S Min; C Zheng; Joongku Lee; Sei Ryang Oh; Kyung Seop Ahn; Hyeong Kyu Lee
- Bibliographic Citation
- Archives of Pharmacal Research, vol. 28, no. 7, pp. 804-809
- Publication Year
- The EtOAc-soluble fraction from a methanolic extract of Hovenia dulcis Thunb. exhibited neuroprotective activity against glutamate-induced neurotoxicity in mouse hippocampal HT22 cells. The neuroprotective activity-guided isolation resulted in 8 phenolic compounds (1-8), such as vanillic acid (1), ferulic acid (2), 3,5-dihydroxystilbene (3), (+)-aromadendrin (4), methyl vanillate (5), (-)-catechin (6), 2,3,4-trihydrobenzoic acid (7), and (+)-afzelechin (8). Among these, compounds 6 and 8 had a neuroprotective effect on the glutamate-induced neurotoxicity in HT22 cells. Furthermore, compound 6 had a DPPH free radical scavenging effect with an IC50 value of 57.7 μM, and a superoxide anion radical scavenging effect with an IC50 value of 8.0 μM. Both compounds 6 and 8 had ABTS cation radical scavenging effects with IC50 values of 7.8 μM and 23.7 μM, respectively. These results suggest that compounds 6 and 8 could be neuroprotectants owing to their free radical scavenging activities.
- (+)-Afzelechin; (-)-Catechin; ABTS; DPPH; Hovenia dulcis; HT22 Cells; Neuroprotection; Superoxide
- Pharmaceutical Soc Korea
- Appears in Collections:
- Ochang Branch Institute > 1. Journal Articles
Ochang Branch Institute > Natural Medicine Research Center > 1. Journal Articles
- Files in This Item:
Items in OpenAccess@KRIBB are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.