Sesquiterpene furan compound CJ-01, a novel chitin synthase 2 inhibitor from Chloranthus japonicus SIEB
Cited 22 time in
- Sesquiterpene furan compound CJ-01, a novel chitin synthase 2 inhibitor from Chloranthus japonicus SIEB
- Nam Hui Yim; E I Hwang; Bong Sik Yun; K D Park; Jae Sun Moon; S H Lee; N D Sung; Sung Uk Kim
- Bibliographic Citation
- Biological & Pharmaceutical Bulletin, vol. 31, no. 5, pp. 1041-1044
- Publication Year
- A novel sesquiterpene furan compound CJ-01 was isolated from the methanol extract of the whole plant of Chloranthus japonicus SIEB. by monitoring the inhibitory activity of chitin synthase 2 from Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Based on spectroscopic analysis, the structure of compound CJ-01 was determined as 3,4,8a-trimethyl-4a,7,8,8a-tetrahydro-4a-naphto[2,3-b]furan-9-one. The compound inhibited chitin synthase 2 of Saccharomyces cerevisiae in a dose-dependent manner with an IC50 of 39.6 μg/ml, whereas it exhibited no inhibitory activities against chitin synthase 1 and 3 of S. cerevisiae up to 280 μg/ml. CJ-01 has 1.7-fold stronger inhibitory activity than polyoxin D (IC50=70 μg/ml), a well-known chitin synthase inhibitor. These results indicate that the compound is a specific inhibitor of chitin synthase 2 from S. cerevisiae. In addition, CJ-01 showed antifungal activities against various human and phytopathogenic fungi. Therefore, the compound might be an interesting lead to develop effective antifungal agents.
- antifungal activity; chitin synthase 2 inhibitor; chloranthus japonicus; fungal cell wall; sesquiterpene furan compound CJ-01
- Pharmaceutical Soc Japan
- Appears in Collections:
- Division of Biomaterials Research > Plant Systems Engineering Research > 1. Journal Articles
- Files in This Item:
Items in OpenAccess@KRIBB are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.