Antiviral and anticancer activities of 13(E)-labd-13-ene-8α,15-diol isolated from Brachyglottis monroi
Cited 5 time in
- Antiviral and anticancer activities of 13(E)-labd-13-ene-8α,15-diol isolated from Brachyglottis monroi
- Hwa-Jung Choi; J H Song; Dur Han Kwon; S H Baek
- Bibliographic Citation
- Phytotherapy Research, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 169-174
- Publication Year
- The antiviral activity of 13(E)-labd-13-ene-8α,15-diol (1), isolated from Brachyglottis monroi, was examined against human rhinovirus 2 (HRV2) and 3 (HRV3), and the anticancer activity on human cancer cells (A549 and Hep2). Compound (1) showed strong anti-HRV2 and HRV3 activity with a 50% inhibitory concentration (IC50) of 2.68 and 0.87 μg/mL, respectively, and a 50% cytotoxicity concentration (CC50) of 59.45 μg/mL. Ribavirin only showed anti-HRV3 activity with an IC50 of 30.48 mg/mL and a CC50 > 100 μg/mL. The addition of compound (1) to HRV-infected HeLa cells directly reduced the formation of visible cytopathic effect (CPE) and it directly interacted with HRV particles. Furthermore, A549 and Hep2 cells incubated with 32 μg/mL of compound (1) for 48 h exhibited antilung and antilaryngeal cancer activities, with a viability of less than 50%. These results suggest that compound (1) may be used as a potential antiviral and anticancer agent.
- 13(E)-labd-13-ene-8α,15-diol; Anticancer activity; Antiviral activity; Brachyglottis monroi; Human rhinovirus
- Appears in Collections:
- 1. Journal Articles > Journal Articles
- Files in This Item:
Items in OpenAccess@KRIBB are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.